The DISPATCH RACE
Follow in the Path of Our Ancestors
1/8 mile run/walk to the River and a 16 mile boat race to Fort Osage
Race Starts at LaBenite Park, Sugar Creek, MO @ 9:00 a.m on August 6th.
13 competitive and fun classes available to choose from, including:
1) Non-Competitive Family Fun Canoe Class (Children can participate in this class) ... 9:30 am start
2) Primitive-Raft, Pirogues, Bull Boats, Flat Boats, Keel Boat and Dug-Out Canoe Class
You Must Build it and then Race It!!
3) Fishing Boat Kayak Class (kayak up to 12 feet)
4) Women’s Tandem Class (canoe or kayak)
5) Men’s Tandem Class (canoe or kayak)
6) Mixed Tandem Class (canoe or kayak)
7) A Fine Wine Class (any Adult 60+ years young... may use any listed boat type)
8) Women’s Solo Kayak (any Kayak up to 18 feet long)
9) Men’s Solo Kayak (any Kayak up to 18 feet long)
10) Women’s Solo Unlimited
11) Men’s Solo Unlimited
12) SUP Men's Class AND 13) SUP Women's Class
This unique and fun race is called “The Dispatch” in honor of the original occupants of Fort Osage, who routinely sent messengers down river in canoes to deliver dispatches to St. Louis.
*Official Fort Dispatches will be given to all racers at registration.
These dispatches will be copies of actual historical documents and letters, pulled from the archives at Fort Osage, which had actually been sent from Fort Osage to St Louis.
A Fort Osage soldier re-enactor will be present at the finish line, and every racer (both adults and children) must deliver their “dispatch” to the soldier in order to complete the race and receive their finishers coin... which is an official replica of the Jefferson Peace Medal.
Contest for most realistic boat which would been seen at Fort Osage during the early 1800's
$35 Racing fee... (Day of Event Registration - $40/adults)
Every Adult racer will receive a finishers medal, tee-shirt, lunch, and 3 tickets for admission into Fort Osage.
Childrenʼs racing fee is $10 .. but does not include a tee-shirt
(Each child will receive a finishers coin, lunch, and one admission into Fort Osage)
Militia Re-enactors from the Friends of Fort Osage will be present in full military dress!!
They will be shooting off their guns and a large Canon!!